Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fisher Information In Natural Selection

I introduced myself with the concept of Fisher information in my readings about quantum estimation and the Cramer-Rao bound. It was when I read the book

B. Roy Frieden, Physics from Fisher Information: A Unification,

which showed me that the Fisher information may even play an important role in the foundations of physics itself. Unexpectedly, I run into the Fisher information again when I was reading about Jeffreys' prior for Bayesian estimation. Now, I came across with another interesting paper about the role of Fisher information in Natural selection

Frank, S. A. 2009. Natural selection maximizes Fisher
information. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 22:231–244

Can we use this in order to refine genetic/evolutionary optimization algorithms?

No comments:

Post a Comment